Creative writing courses in Oxford, UK
for anyone writing or planning to write a novel
12-week evening course to develop and explore the elements
of story building. Practical, creative, and inspiring.
make your wishes for Summer of Writing 2017
Let me know what workshops or topics you'd like for the next Summer of Writing - ask and you shall receive! Make a wish
What you get on the courses
- practical guidance and help
with various aspects of writing
- creative approaches
for your own writing and activities to try ideas out
– not formulae
- real-life teaching & discussion,
not online lessons or videos
- small, personal classes:
maximum 12 students, so I can give everyone personal
- feedback on your writing: individual
feedback on 3 2000-word assignments across the 12-week
course, monthly feedback on up to 3000 words on the follow-on course
- handy little booklets with a summary
of each session's learning-points and activities (colour-coded,
naturally!) on the 12-week course & workshops
- a wealth of original activities
designed specifically for the courses and workshops to apply to
your own writing
- a sheaf of story plans: in the
final class of the 12-week course, we share out the
"Plot Bank" so everyone leaves with rich,
developed stories to work on
- qualified, experienced teacher
with 6000+ hours of teaching experience
- grapes, biscuits, tea & coffee
to sustain you while we work!
for more info or to book a place.
What my students say
- "The course is a pleasure week after week."
- "I never expected the course to make me laugh. It's been fun, funny, far more helpful than
I'd anticipated, very stimulating and really inspiring. Plus it's helped me take my writing more seriously."
- "Really loving time spent with the group and the course is everything I expected and more."
- "I love having people to speak to about writing and being able to speak to someone experienced in the field. Also, having a reason to write every week (rather than just for me) makes it easier to set time aside."
- "Genuinely have had a fantastic and stimulating time on this course. I think the online description is very accurate - all the emphasis is on the creative process and not the painful writing bit - which becomes about capturing the ideas - very freeing!"
- "I've really enjoyed the social aspect of the group, as it's the first time I've been able to socialise with people who are as interested in writing as I am."
- "I have attended several writing workshops over the years and this one-day workshop was by far the most enjoyable and useful. "
- "I can't recommend this course enough. Megan is a great teacher and the structure of the Story Elements course really gets into the important part of writing a novel - storytelling. "
Read more student feedback and Daily Info reviews here.
All courses are held in Wolvercote,
Oxford. Parking is available & it's an easy
bus route from town on the Number 6.
me to book
your place or for more details.
1 evening a week
for 8 weeks, 7pm – 9:30 pm. £240
for 8 sessions, payable in instalments.
Next starting: 9 February 2017.
1 evening a week
for 12 weeks, 7pm – 9:30 pm. £320
for 12 sessions, payable in instalments.
Next starting: 25 April 2017.
Saturdays in August, 10am – 4 pm (unless the voting goes otherwise).
The form to vote for your workshops will be up until mid-April, then I'll
put up the final selection for people to book.
1 evening a fortnight, in sessions of 6, ongoing.
£180 for 6 sessions, payable in instalments.
Next starting: 8 February 2017 (Short term of 4 sessions, at £120 for the term.)
Read more about what the course is like, what it covers, and FAQs, and book your place.
Saturday workshops in July and August to give you a Summer of Writing
Organise a fun, interactive workshop to introduce your society to creating stories
or to explore a topic in-depth with your writing group.
Read independent reviews of the courses and workshops
to see what they're like.